[Virtualacorn-list] RiscOS-MS file conversion

Jim Nagel vatory at abbeypress.co.uk
Thu Jun 1 21:41:10 BST 2017

Bob Ardler wrote on May22:
> On this (home) HardDisc4 there are >30k maths sheets I've composed on
> RiscOS for my school, mostly as Drawfiles or on TechWriter. Boss now
> wants them on the school network -- which accommodates only Microsoft
> and Apple machines. ... [snip steps] ... Are there better ways? The
> prospect of the above plod repeated 30k times is daunting. Is there an
> MS (or Apple) app closer to Draw...?

Yes.  Oak Draw (free download from Dial Solutions):
     http://www.dialsolutions.com/downloads/index.html (5 meg)
Also there is (or was) Aspex Draw (harder to find but still extant,
not sure if it's free or sold), which became Silhouette Studio, which
still loads Acorn drawfiles despite not being documented.  Basic
version is free (183 megabytes!)

Give the school either of these.  Then the school can load your
original drawfiles directly, and you would be totally spared any
individual ploddery.

That would leave only the files you originated on Techwriter to be
converted.  Making them into PDFs is the obvious route -- and a PDF is
still a vector file.  I'm making some enquiries about doing this
make-PDF chore as a batch; stand by.

Methinks there's a narticle here for the magazine.

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk