[Virtualacorn-list] {Spam?} RISC OS Awards - was: Iyonix back then

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Mon Apr 24 12:47:32 BST 2017

On 24/04/2017 12:15, Bob Ardler wrote:
> A further, related & equally ignorant question. For me, the GUI plus
> familiar apps are what make RiscOS essential. I've heard that Linux
> versions include (one or more?) RiscOSic GUIs, and that Linux matches
> Windows and MacOS in power & versatility. Does that mean one could
> switch to Linux and get the familiar GUI (with 3button mouse),
> TechWriter, Drawetcalikes and full Web access? Or is Linux only for
> hackers (in the CompSci-doctorate rather than pejorative sense)?

Linux works very well these days as a desktop environment anyone can
pick up and use, you don't need to be a command line hacker if you don't
want to be.

There is a large choice desktops, including some which have filers and
task bars reminiscent of RISC OS, just as there are ones which mimic
Windows XP. However, RISC OS applications wont run under Linux, and
Linux applications wont work with the RISC OS like desktop components in
the way a RISC OS user would expect, such as dragging save as boxes to
filer Windows.

Linux is very well worth adopting to do the things that RISC OS can't
(certainly when the alternative is Windows 10), but don't expect to use
it like RISC OS.

Cheers
--
David J. Ruck