[Virtualacorn-list] Hair-tearing time

John McCartney j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 17:07:31 BST 2016

In article <556cf40b54j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk>, John
McCartney <j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> In article
> <mpro.o5818m00155jk06g8.atdotcodotuk at dotcodotukat.co.uk>,
>    Vince M Hudd <atdotcodotuk at dotcodotukat.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> > As Druck says, I'm inclined to think CCleaner is the
> > likely cause of this.

> As I've said to Druck, it hasn't affected VRPC on this
> laptop so I'm not inclined to suspect it. In any case,
> I've just checked both machines and searches in RegEdit
> fail to find any mention of VRPC.

After I wrote this, it occurred to me that I might not have
used the correct abbreviation for Virtual RiscPC and it
turns out that I hadn't.

I ran RegEdit again and searched for VirtualRPC. Lo and
behold, I found about 5 entries. Although I looked at the
contents (right click and choose Modify... then Cancel),
nothing was changed.

More "Lo and behold" when I idly clicked on the task bar
icon for VRPC and the damn thing ran without a murmur!

The only problem was that the resolution was 3840×1080 and
the display was almost unreadable when confined to just the
one monitor. Blind (almost) fiddling with the Display menu
eventually got me back to 1920×1080 and I was able to
change the setting in Configure.

All I have to do now is strip the machine down and
reinstall the graphics card and get it to treat the two
monitors as one. Oh yes, I'll have to repeat all this on
the forum. Thank goodness for copy and paste.

All the best,

John

--
John McCartney