[Virtualacorn-list] Missing configure icons

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Fri Apr 29 20:03:45 BST 2016

On 29/04/2016 19:52, Chris Shepheard wrote:
>>> Looking inside the !Sprites22 files are all there but there is no
>>> plain !Sprites file which it would appear is what the application
>>> !Boot file is looking for.
>
>> What screen mode are you using? This behaviour suggests you are using an
>> rectangular pixel mode, which is now poorly supported by RISC OS. Chose
>> a mode where the vertical resolution is more than half the horizontal.
>
> Many thanks David, you hit it in one!
>
> I was using 1280x480 but changing to 1280x768 everything re-appears.
>
> Thanks again for putting my mind to rest about a broken installation.

Saying that the applications are wrong, as there should never be just a
!Sprites22. There should always be a !Sprites which is the default if no
other matching variants are present.

Back in the old ARM2/3 days !Sprites contained the 90x45 dpi icons for
Mode 12, and !Sprites22 contained 90x90 dpi for Mode 20, so as to use as
little CPU to plot the sprites as possible. Now there is no reason not
to put high res and high colour depth in !Sprites and let the much
faster processor convert them to the screen mode on the fly.

Cheers
---David

Email: druck at druck.org.uk
Phone: +44-(0)7974 108301