[Virtualacorn-list] Hair-tearing time

John McCartney j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 14:49:17 BST 2016

On 19th March, Rob Sprowson came to the Midlands User Group
meeting to demonstrate and talk about his Titanium-based
computer. Being a helpful sort of bloke, I volunteered my
pair of LG Flatron monitors so that he could demonstrate
the dual-DVI video head on the motherboard.

Well, no good deed goes unpunished!

After the meeting, I reconnected the monitors to my
graphics card and switched on. After the Windows 7 splash
screen (the swirling coloured balls) the monitors went
blank. The machine carried on booting as far as I could
tell (and it did).

I've tried and tried to get it to boot normally but could
only get it to boot in Safe Mode. To cut a long story
short, today I removed the graphics card and reconnected
the monitors to the motherboard. Hallelujah! It worked.

After updating Kaspersky, GWX Control Panel and Windows (in
that order), I uninstalled everything to do with the
graphics card, ran CCleaner, rebooted and moved the AMD
folder from the C: drive to another drive. Reboot again.

Time to run VRPC. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!

"Acorn RiscPC Emulator with RISC OS Adjust has stopped
working"

The offer to check on line for a solution proved fruitless
so I copied the problem details which I include below. I
got the same result with my backup copy of the whole
installation which was on an external USB HDD.

I hope the information below is less impenetrable to
someone else than it is to me. I'm sure I've seen it before
but I just can't remember where or when or what the
solution was.

All suggestions will be gratefully received.

John

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	VirtualRPC-AdjustSA.exe
  Application Version:	1.6.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	45799d29
  Fault Module Name:	VirtualRPC-AdjustSA.exe
  Fault Module Version:	1.6.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	45799d29
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	0009fc04
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:	2057
  Additional Information 1:	5736
  Additional Information 2:	5736c7edb84d706328d8c7021d50f6c9
  Additional Information 3:	1012
  Additional Information 4:	101217c1bc1efc9d185a04b1a7d9fddd

--
John McCartney
j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk