[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC Mac MAC

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Thu Sep 17 05:41:24 BST 2015

In article <mpro.nurln900df01d00j1.pittdj at pittdj.co.uk>,
   David Pitt <pittdj at pittdj.co.uk> wrote:
> Tim Powys-Lybbe, on 16 Sep, wrote:

> > > I have now got an updated Key and VRPC is back on the case. That was
> > > quick, wasn't it.
> >
> > Indeed it was.
> >
> > Can you now run VRPC through both of Ethernet and WiFi?

> Yes, immediately. I haven't tried it yet but I guess a move to wired
> followed by a restart would require the old Key to be re-instated.

I'd like to pop in with a little aside here...
Lets not forget VRPCs rival...RPCEmu and its big flaw.

While RPCEmu is very portable, in that you can copy an install from one
computer to another, have a copy on a memory stick to carry around with
you and use on others computers, its networking methodology is crude to
say the least.

It is incapable of transparently using the underlying OS network
connection as VRPC can, and requires a lot of fiddling and changing the
underlying OSs networking. (That's apart from the fiddling with the RPCEmu
RISC OS install that's required) and it does have a tendancy sometimes to
forget what it's suppposed to be doing connection wise.

Which means you can use your stick RPCEmu on a mates computer when you are
away, but no networking, unless you first Fu his/her existing setup.

So it seems six of one and half a dozen of the other which ever you use.

As I use both VRPC and RPCEmu (On different computers) I'm not here to
draw blood just to point it out...

Dave

--

Dave Triffid