[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC Mac MAC

Vince M Hudd atdotcodotuk at dotcodotukat.co.uk
Wed Sep 16 10:48:23 BST 2015

David Pitt <pittdj at pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> I have recently changed my iMac from wired ethernet to WiFi. Following a
> reboot VRPC is now asking to be unlocked!

> Is this normal, I have a vague feeling that it is.

Sort of. In theory it shouldn't be a problem - but in practice, it sometimes
can be.

IIRC, the code it first produces to send of to 3QD to get the unlock code is
based on the MAC address of the first network interface it sees. It doesn't
therefore matter which one is being actively *used* - only that they are
both enabled. Thereafter, as long as they both remain enabled, the software
will always see the same interface first.

So in your case, it sounds like:

a) With both interfaces enabled, VRPC 'sees' the wireless interface first,
and b) When you aren't using it, the wireless interface is disabled.

A disabled interface isn't seen at all - so the upshot of 'b' was that your
wired interface was being seen first, and was the one used for the original
unlock code, until you started using wireless.

I had a very similar problem some years ago. The laptop I was using
(coincidentally, the one I still bring with me to shows) automatically
*disabled* the network interfaces that weren't in use. IIRC, Aaron didn't
believe me at first during our email discussion (prompted because the
initial code I sent him didn't show *any* network interface at all - simply
because the computer wasn't connected to a network when it first generated
the code).

> Revert to wired and after reboot VRPC does run as it did before.

> I have asked for a new unlock from the website.

I see from your other post that you now have this, so all's good.

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software