[Virtualacorn-list] VA & CDs on 64 bit machine

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Mon Nov 9 13:40:20 GMT 2015

On 09/11/2015 13:26, Chris Newman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to purchase VirtualRPC Adjust SA (4.39) but I see from Aaron's
> products page at   http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/product.htm  that there
> seems to be a caveat that CDs can only be read on 32 bit Widows machine's but
> that caveat doesn't apply to data DVDs.
>
> I have a 64 bit m/c so I can I load software from the original CDs?

The CDFS driver only works with 32bit Windows, what it does is allow you
to read ancient old Acorn CD's which have RISC OS filetypes encoded on them.

You can still read the CD's on 64bit Windows by including the CD/DVD
drive in a Host FS mapping. You'll still see all the files on the CD,
but without file types.

The vast majority of RISC OS CD's I saw, contained everything useful in
archives anyway. Most of others were things like Acorn Reply demo discs.

Cheers
--
David J. Ruck
email: druck at druck.org.uk