[Virtualacorn-list] MakeModes

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Thu May 7 10:35:29 BST 2015

Wed May 6 19:30:33 BST 2015, David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk said:

>> RISC OS v4.39 has a built-in mode-maker. ...
>> If you double-click on !Boot, then select
>> Configuration --- Display configuration -- Automode,
>> you can set up whatever horizontal and vertical resolution you need
>> and click on Save Updated MDF. The limit is 2048 x 1534 pixels

> After all these years with VRPC, I never knew that! All those years
> of mucking about with MDFs. Anyway I now have a rather super
> 2048x1280 VRPC window on the iMac. So thanks for that.

Aha! Yet another victim of the near-total lack of RISC OS Adjust
documentation!   :-(

We kept on asking RISC OS Ltd but AFAIK nothing ever appeared. Even
some developers had to work out why their apps didn't work with
Adjust, andto suss out fixes (many thanks to Steve Fryatt et al).

Dave, I hope this isn't teaching you to suck eggs, but are you getting
the full 16M colours, i.e. by using the ARM7500 core emulation? If
not, I do thoroughly recommend trying that. The ARM610 and StrongARM
cores are limited to 8MB screen memory, so will not run 2048x1280
pixels in 16 colours as that requires 10240k screen memory.

However, selecting the ARM7500 core emulation gives up to 16000k
screen memory so will support 16M colours. (Also a PS2 mouse scroll
wheel will work, which is nice.)

If anyone needs an even bigger display than the Adfjust's
Monitor-Automode setup limit of 2048x1536 pixels, mohsen sussed out
some huge MDFs - going up to 2560x1600 pixels! See
http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=504&p=1921&hilit=2560#p1921
Big or what?

Jeff Peck
pp T.O.M.S.