[Virtualacorn-list] Unable to delete sub directories in HostFS mount

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Thu Jul 23 13:26:00 BST 2015

On 23/07/2015 12:06, Brian Jordan wrote:
> I had a mount full of directories containing a website mirror on this
> machine. After archiving it to an external drive I tried to clear out the
> mount but found that I couldn't delete the original directories nor the
> files in them using Select all -> Delete from RISC OS. I opened the
> directories individually and easily deleted all the files so that I
> eventually had a mount full of empty directories and sub directories but
> even then I couldn't delete them using RISC OS. Is this normal behaviour
> or, is it something that the new Windows 8 compatible VA addresses? I was
> able to go to the mount from file explorer under windows and easily
> delete the directories so am a little confused.

It could be a number of things. One of the most common that I've found
is that the directories are not actually empty, but contain Windows
hidden files which can't be seen from HostFS, and are still open. For
example Windows will store thumbnails of any image files seen by the
filer in a hidden file. In this case VRPC just appears not to delete the
directory, as the warning you get when doing it from the Windows filer
isn't passed up.

Cheers
--
David J. Ruck