[Virtualacorn-list] File types between RISC OS and Mac

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Mon Jul 6 16:53:13 BST 2015

On 6 Jul at 11:12, David Pitt <pittdj at pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> Tim Powys-Lybbe, on 6 Jul, wrote:
>
> > This could be a problem anywhere between VRPC, RISC OS, MimeMap and
> > Mac OS.  So I'm starting here!
> >
> > I am creating SVG files in ArtWorks to go on a web-site.  I have
> > about 70 to do and am a little over half way.  The files are created
> > within Artworks by doing Shift-Ctrl-S which brings up the SVG save
> > window and then dragging the SVG file icon to the directory for each
> > design.  This gives a file name of <art-works-filename>/svg and a
> > file type of SVG.  I copy this file into a destination directory in
> > RISC OS for all these SVG files, plus the odd html file.  Eventually
> > the contents of this destination directory will be copied to the web
> > server site.
> >
> > This is done in a VRPC window on my Mac machine.
> >
> > I have another window open on the Mac which is a filer window
> > pointed directly at that same destination window using the Mac OS
> > (10.10.3) software.  But on this Mac filer window the file appears
> > with the name of <art-works-filename>.svg.aad where <AAD> is the hex
> > number of the risc os file type as on MimeMap.  No Mac program will
> > handle these files, not even the html files that address them as SVG
> > files.  So I have to delete the file suffix of <.aad> from the file
> > name in the Mac filer window and all is well.
> >

> A suitable entry in this file may assist.

/Applications/VirtualAcorn/VirtualRPC-AdjustSA/VirtualRPC.app/Contents/PlugIns/hostfs.bundle/Contents/Resources/extensions.txt

> As tested from !Draw a save of the form SVG/svg appears in the Mac
> Finder without the aad suffix.

I wonder if I have an old version of VRPC as I can't get through that
path.  At this stage I have to click on 'Show Package Contents' in a
finder menu:

  /Applications/VirtualAcorn/VirtualRPC-AdjustSA/VirtualRPC.app/

That then shows the Contents filer so that I can get to:

/Applications/VirtualAcorn/VirtualRPC-AdjustSA/VirtualRPC.app/Contents/PlugIns/hostfs.bundle/

But 'hostfs.bundle' is a file and I can get no further.  If I double
click on this file a Terminal window opens and, as ever, I am lost
without guidance in words of less than one syllable!

Thanks for coming to my rescue anyhow.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim at powys.org
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/