[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC won't run

John McCartney j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 28 17:21:08 BST 2015

Both my VRPC installations are running under Windows 7 SP1
installed on SSDs.

Anyone who remembers recent threads ('MakeModes' and '4.39
to 6.20 on ARM7500'), will know that I have had problems
applying RO 6 to the ARM7500 model. As a result I have
reverted from RO 6.2 using the StrongARM model to 4.39
using the ARM7500 model.

I have successfully done it on my desktop machine and now
want to align the installation on my laptop. It's a pain
when I forget I can't use the scroll wheel on 6. Having
installed Martin Avison's QuickFiler, it's awkward
remembering different keyboard shortcuts too.

So I backed up the original RO 6 installation on my laptop
onto an external drive. Then I uninstalled it from the
laptop and ran CCleaner to rid the Registry of any traces
of it. I didn't expect any because it had been installed on
a separate partition on the SSD. There were a couple of
mentions however. I rebooted before re-installing.

All seemed to go well until I tried to run it for the first
time. A double-click on the shortcut produced the expected
roating 'busy circle' (what *is* the proper name for it?)
but after a few seconds it stopped and there was nothing to
show for it.

I checked my AV (Kaspersky) to see if that was blocking it.
It showed up in the Low Risk section so I marked it as
Trusted but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.
Indeed, both machines have Kaspersky installed.

I've gone through this process 3 times this afternoon and
am getting extremely frustrated. Can anyone shed any light
on my problem before I shoot myself?

John

--
John McCartney