[Virtualacorn-list] File types between RISC OS and Mac

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Mon Jul 6 10:19:45 BST 2015

This could be a problem anywhere between VRPC, RISC OS, MimeMap and Mac
OS.  So I'm starting here!

I am creating SVG files in ArtWorks to go on a web-site.  I have about
70 to do and am a little over half way.  The files are created within
Artworks by doing Shift-Ctrl-S which brings up the SVG save window and
then dragging the SVG file icon to the directory for each design.  This
gives a file name of <art-works-filename>/svg and a file type of SVG.  I
copy this file into a destination directory in RISC OS for all these SVG
files, plus the odd html file.  Eventually the contents of this
destination directory will be copied to the web server site.

This is done in a VRPC window on my Mac machine.

I have another window open on the Mac which is a filer window pointed
directly at that same destination window using the Mac OS (10.10.3)
software.  But on this Mac filer window the file appears with the name
of <art-works-filename>.svg.aad where <AAD> is the hex number of the
risc os file type as on MimeMap.  No Mac program will handle these
files, not even the html files that address them as SVG files.  So I
have to delete the file suffix of <.aad> from the file name in the Mac
filer window and all is well.

At that point the SVG file type in RISC OS is changed to Text and RISC
OS cannot handle it, but that is no loss as I have no program in RISC OS
that will actually read SVG files.

Is Mimemap, or VRPC,  doing what it should?

Notes:
------

If I save a HTML file in RISC OS, it remains a HTML file in the Mac
filer, so something is possible.

I am using SVG as it allows others to enlarge these files with no
pixellation distortion.

I cannot use PDF files as the Firefox browser on my Mac won't handle PDF
files (dunno yet about Firefox on Windows).  Safari and Chrome don't
have this problem.

VRPC version 1.7.0, RISC OS 6.20, Mac OS as above.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim at powys.org
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/