[Virtualacorn-list] Priorities

Chris Newman cvjazz at waitrose.com
Mon Apr 13 17:54:06 BST 2015

In article <629DBA316FE4457987EC59E567B42ED3 at philipsdesktop>,
   T.O.M.S. <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:

> On Fri Apr 10 13:08:28 BST 2015, Chris Newman cvjazz at waitrose.com
> sayeth

> > I was reseting the Task Priority on my Virtual Acorn SA 4.02
> > StrongArm on Windows XP laptop when I noticed the
> > UIPriority was set to 3. I did a search on UIPriority in the forum
> > & nothing came up. What does the UI stand for please?

> '[Windows] User Interface' perchance?

> See the support article 112 ref, the 'WinUI' sub-section in the
> VirtualRPC VA.cfg file:

> http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/support/articles/112/index.htm

Yep. Knew about that but the reference is to ProcessorPriority, not
UIPriority.

> > What would a sensible value be?

> Looks like 0 (zero), unless you have problem symptoms, in which case
> try 3?

That's the reference for ProcessorPriority. UIPriority is shown as 1.

Does UI mean  User Interface as I suspected all along? Does it refer to the
RISC OS User Interface or perhaps the Windows one which you can see if you
have VA running in a Window (so to speak).

> (BTW, if you look for something in the Forum, and nothing comes up,
> it's often worthwhile entering the keyword into the 'Search
> VirtualAcorn' box on http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/index2.htm - that
> often gives good lead(s) to something within the Support articles, as
> well as in the Forum. HTH.)

I'd already done that for UIPriority & could find nothing;  no explanation or
recommended values.

> Alex Hamilton
> pp T.O.M.S.

> -----