[Virtualacorn-list] New VRPC Installation Doesn't Start

John McCartney j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 19:20:24 BST 2014

In article <54249A6DFA%mik.towse at xemik.com>, Mik Towse
<mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> In article <5424848a95j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk> John
> McCartney  wrote: [snip]
> >
> > I think the best solution, in the long term, would be
> > if Aaron and Graham can come up with an update which
> > obviates the problem. I've no idea what might be
> > involved and it's quite possible that this has been
> > incorporated already in the updates which Aaron has
> > mentioned elsewhere.

> I'm not sure they can. My research suggests Atapi support
> in W8 is incomplete, but I can't find any help fixing
> that, besides the one already offered here.

The answers I've found tend to be of the variety that
recommends updating the drivers, for example:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/atapi-event-id11-the-driver-detected-a-controller/937bbf12-0fa9-4b1f-a639-f48321f85b04

> If I list my Devices I don't even have an Atapi
> controller listed.

I found mine in the Device Manager. It says:

Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

> Although, I didn't check after I'd restarted with the
> Reg' change made. VRPC didn't start so I just deleted the
> dll from Plugins.

As you might have seen, I've decided against trying to
update the registry and just moved the folder with the dll
out of the way.

John

--
John McCartney