[Virtualacorn-list] Self-build PC

John McCartney j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 17:37:54 BST 2014

In article <5420d6b02fStuartlists at orpheusinternet.co.uk>,
   lists <Stuartlists at orpheusinternet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <5420987283j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk>, John
>    McCartney <j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > That's good to know, Alan. I have the machine up and
> > running and it's all gone far more smoothly than I
> > hoped for. I haven't installed VRPC yet as I haven't
> > got the Windows side finished apart from those
> > interminable updates - over 700 MB in 3 wodges - and
> > some temporary free anti-virus).

> It'll be fine. I was going to suggest you look at SSD but
> I see you have already built it.

I have a Kingston V300, 240 GB SSD. I also have a 1 TB
Seagate Pipeline. They are both connected via SATA3. There
is a long and tedious tale as to how I came by the Seagate
and I don't think I'd get a round of applause if I
recounted it here.

> One of my daughters has just had a new PC built on an
> ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 with an AMD FX-8350. With a Crucial
> M500 240G SSD as the "C" drive, power-on button to
> Windows log-in is 27 seconds.

I haven't timed mine yet but it is very quick. I'll try it
tomorrow after I replace the case's original fan. It's
deafening! "Case's original fan?" I hear you thinking;
well, it's all to do with that long and boring tale I
alluded to.

> She throws big Photoshop files around so has a 1TB main
> drive for storage and 16G of memory.

I can't boast that kind of usage...

> I am certainly planning on using a SSD in my next PC.

With prices coming down all the time, it's a no-brainer to
fit one.

John

--
John McCartney