[Virtualacorn-list] Self-build PC

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Tue Jul 1 17:27:17 BST 2014

On 01/07/2014 14:28, John McCartney wrote:
> I'm not fitting a graphics card and hope that the Intel HD graphics
> in the processor will be good enough. If not, then a graphics card
> will be needed. The critical point is how well it handles scrolling
> in Virtual RiscPC.

VRPC is only going to use simple 2D acceleration for window scrolling,
even Intel's onboard graphics can handle that, it's 3D gaming its poor
on. What will make far more difference is the processor and memory
performance, and the i5 is good for that.

> In my laptop I detect a certain amount of hesitation although my
> desktop is OK. They both have NVIDIA graphics cards.

That's probably down to the laptop chipset, which will always be slower
than a similar spec'd desktop, due to thermal constraints and agressive
power management.

Cheers
---David
Email: druck at druck.org.uk