[Virtualacorn-list] End of Microsoft support for Windows XP

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Thu Jul 10 10:41:44 BST 2014

Hello folks

Back in April, there was a long thread on recommended precautions
following the plug having been pulled on Windows XP security updates,
and thanks to everyone who contributed. We found the ideas very useful
and this is an update on a couple of things we've since spotted..

Although the monthly batch of umpteen security updates did indeed
stop, we still seem to be getting the occasional prompt that an update
is available, signified by the usual yellow shield popping up on the
task bar. This turns out to be for the 'Malicious software removal
tool' and which can be downloaded and installed as usual.

I dunno what this tool is supposed to do but I guess it's better than
nothing. So if you've turned off the Automatic Updates feature, you
might want to think about re-enabling it.

Second point: Aaron's recent sooper-dooper website upgrade includes a
useful Support article; see
http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/support/articles/147/index.htm

We were especially interested in Aaron's notion about fooling our
'consumer' version of Windows XP into thinking it's a 'non consumer'
version, as used by larger organisations such as British banks. The
beauty of this being that support for Windows XP will continue for a
further 5 years, including (presumably) security updates.

This involves tweaking the Windows Registry, as described in the
article - but to date we haven't got it to work, one or more error
messages pop up. Has anyone had any success with it and, if so, please
could you post advice on how to get it to work? TIA.

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.

-----
No virus found in this message.