[Virtualacorn-list] W7 gotchas?

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Mon Jan 13 08:10:32 GMT 2014

On 11/01/2014 10:37, Chris at note2 wrote:
> Does the lack of support matter? XP must be the most popular and most
> stable. Since RO will never be able to support all the bells and
> whistles why not just get another dedicated device if you want to go
> that way?

If you are just using XP just as a launch vehicle for VRPC and nothing
else, it would be viable to continue using it. Thousands of embedded
systems based on XP wont be replaced any time soon.

Most successful attacks come from the use of Windows applications, such
as automatically downloaded malware from an infected website or by
tricking the user to clicking on a link or an email attachment. Very few
are attacks are purely against the OS from external code, so if you
don't use any other Windows applications, infection from a memory stick
is one of the few remaining vectors.

However, you would be mad to have a PC and not use a fully featured fast
web browser on it, rather than struggle with what is available in RISC
OS. So I would recommend sticking to a supported OS just for that reason
alone. Of course, you could install Linux in a VM for that...

Cheers
--
David J. Ruck
email: druck at druck.org.uk