[Virtualacorn-list] W7 gotchas?

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Mon Jan 13 21:19:18 GMT 2014

In message <53c97ffc22Stuartlists at orpheusinternet.co.uk>
          lists <Stuartlists at orpheusinternet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <53C97BC424%mik.towse at xemik.com>,
>    Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:

>> My Xerox is a networked printer, but I believe if you share any printer
>> connected to a PC, Windows will treat that printer as a networked one,
>> too.

You need to beware of some surprising terminology used in Windows.

A printer connected to a Windows computer, and shared by that computer
is a network printer.

A printer with its own network interface is connected as a LOCAL
printer. It can then be shared, making it a network printer to other
computers on the network.

> The Dell is on the network too. Ideally I would like to print directly to
> it from the Kinetic, over the network, using the PS drivers, possibly
> using the PS3 drivers from Martin W but that is a bit of a mystery to me
> as well.

> Sorry this moving away from VA and perhaps ought to be taken up elsewhere.

> I actually do virtually no printing from VA but have set up and tested
> !Uniprint for printing.

> The one attempt using !Uniprint from the Kinetic failed and I have yet to
> find the time to pursue this issue.

First create a new printer:

Menu over the printers icon, choose Install New Printer

Assuming you will be using PS2 for the moment, open the PostCript
folder and choose PoScript2. (If you buy the PS3 driver from MW
software, follow the instructions that come with it. I recommend it
for any printer capable of using PostScript3. Yours does.)

Shift-left-click over the printer, and set its name.

Left Click on it if you want it to be the default printer

Menu over it, and Save choices

Now you will need a driver for the network protocol to talk to the
printer. I use NetPrint from R-Comp, and there's also JetDirectFS,
downloadable from www.riscos,org/jetdirect (This isn't a printer
driver - it provides the lpd/jetdirect protocol to connect the
computer to the printer.)

Install your chosen protocol driver, then connect the printer using it

shift-right-click over the printer.
Select File
Follow the instructions for your driver to put the file path in. For
NetPrint I have lpr#hp5m/raw: where hp5m is the hosts file entry for
the printer.

Save choices again.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire