[Virtualacorn-list] W7 gotchas?

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Mon Jan 13 19:47:35 GMT 2014

On Mon Jan 13 17:25:17 GMT 2014 Chris Hughes chris at noonehere.co.uk
sayeth:

>> AVG+Zonealarm was my standard set up but I moved to MSSE as it
>> seemed simpler to use one product and appeared to use less
>> resources (The PC seemed quicker)

> AVG is very much a resource hog nowadays.

Agreed on that last comment, "nowadays" referring to the 2013 and 2014
Free editions, plus they're reportedly not as capable as previous
versions.

For this reason, we've reverted to using the *2012* version of AVG
Free - but only in the full knowledge that the more-than-daily malware
signature file updates remain entirely valid. The 2012 version is not
a resource hog compared with the 2013/14 ditto (very noticeable). No
doubt this valuable option will not last forever but, for the moment,
I can firmly recommend it.

If you're interested, we covered a suggested procdure for obtaining
and installing the 2012 version of AFG Free in the 10th Anniversary
bumper bonus supplement to VirtualRPC In Use; see pp49-50 in the
composite 'Supplements' file (scroll down to the bottom of
http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/support/vrpcinuse/index.htm).

As we anticipated, the most recent 32/64-bit versions of the 2012
edition (2012.0.2197 - 17 Jul 2012) did indeed fall off the end of the
listings on http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus_32
 (or -64), so click on the <View more> link and go to page 3 to find
it. HTH.

(I think the jury is still out on MSSE as there are mixed reviews. We
did some extended checks a year or so ago and were not impressed; AVG
certainly found further threats on a machine reported as 'Clean' by
MMSE).

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.