[Virtualacorn-list] !TempBin no longer works on 256MB RAM

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Sat Jan 11 18:06:06 GMT 2014

On Sat Jan 11 15:16:22 GMT 2014 Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn
jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk  sayeth:

(OP Roger Darlington):

>>VA-RPC-SA-Adjust  ARM7500  RO4.39 running on Windows7 64 bit

> Just as a matter of interest... why ARM7500?   Have you also tried
> eg the SA emulation?

I was about to respond but I see Roger D already explained on the
earlier RO 5.20 on VRPC thread:

>> ... I cant use the StrongARm processor: it wont do 2560 x 1600
>> x 24bit colour. and I dont want to use fewer colours, or lesser
>> pixies (that would be a waste of a very expensive monitor).

To clarify for anyone who isn't sure on that, the ARM7500 emulation
makes VirtualRPC think it's an A7000, e.g. with a working scroll wheel
*and* (hugely beneficial) something like 16MB 'VRAM', giving
bucket-loads of available pixels and colours. I can't over-state what
a delightful bonus that is. Brilliant.

The only downside (AFAICT) is you can't run StrongARM-ONLY
applications under the ARM7500 emulation. But as that affects so few
titles, it's not normally a restriction in practice.

And in any event, if you do need to run anything which does require
StrongARM, it's simplicity itself to switch between the ARM7500 and
StrongARM emulations at VirtualRPC start-up.. You need to configure
RISC OS for each of the 2 emulations (e.g. display resolution and
colour depth to allow for a maximum of 16MB or 8MB 'VRAM') but that
needs to be done only the once.

Jim Nottingham
pp T.O.M.S.

--
Training, Operations & Management Services

5 Halifax Close
Pocklington
York
YO42 2XF