[Virtualacorn-list] W7 gotchas?

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Sat Jan 11 13:16:01 GMT 2014

On Sat Jan 11 10:00:51 GMT 2014 lists Stuartlists at
orpheusinternet.co.uk sayeth:

> With Mickysoft ending support for WXP, I have reluctantly ordered a
> copy of Windows 7 64bit Pro.

> Are there any issues or points I need to be aware of

We haven't yet taken the plunge but, from what various Windows 7 & 8
users have said to us ties in very well with the other comments on
this thread, evidently the most important being file permissions.

Re: "ending support", AFAICT this is primarily that Microsoft will no
longer be issuing security and other updates for Windows XP on a
monthly and interim basis. As that also affects MS applications such
as Internet Explorer, Word, etc, that may become increasingly
relevant. We'll have to see whether third-party anti-malware providers
will cover this or not.

Another point which may or may not affect you: Any aged perpiherals
you have may not work post-upgrade. This is a (lack of) compatible
drivers problem, so maybe worth checking with the manufacturer(s)'
Support pages before the upgrade.

Jim Nottingham
pp T.O.M.S.