[Virtualacorn-list] RO 5.20 on VRPC

Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
Fri Jan 10 11:49:50 GMT 2014

On 10 Jan 2014, T.O.M.S. wrote:

> On Fri Jan 10 09:04:11 GMT 2014 Roger Darlington rogerarm at
> freeuk.com sayeth:

>> My complete system is VA_RPC_SA_ Adjust, ARM7500
>> model, RO4.39.

>> If you are saying that I should delete the second [Ram] line where
>> it says

>> [Ram]
>> base=0x18000000
>> size=0Mb

> Argghh, NO!!  I'm not saying that at all!    ;-)

> What I am saying is that, if you have installed VirtualRPC-AdjustSA,
> that should result in a *single* RAM bank in each of the 3 Model files
> (ARM7/ARM7500/StrongARM), and where each can be set to a maximum of
> 256MB (as per the illustration on p22 of the VirtualRPC In Use
> booklet).

> But if you are saying that you have somehow finished up with a
> VirtualRPC-AdjustSA installation with *two* RAM banks in the ARM 7500
> Model file (as per the illustration on p23), then either you've
> achieved the impossible - or have somehow overwritten the default
> Model file with one appropriate to the non-Adjust variant, i.e.
> VirtualRPC-SA.

>> which does indeed look superfluous, then I have just done so,
>> just now. (The '18000000' start-value would have put it slam
>> bang in the middle of the 256MB configured in the top one
>> anyway)

> Absolutely. I believe that 'overlapping' the 2 RAM banks may well be
> the root cause of most of the RAM problems reported over the last 10+
> years (going back to VirtualRPC-SE and -SA).

> Beware however: Although you have manually deleted the 'phantom'
> *second* RAM bank (to make it properly appear to be a correct
> VirtualRPC-AdjustSA installation), then that still doesn't explain the
> very significant anomaly of having 2 RAM banks in your (Adjust)
> installation and I think you should still be on the lookout for
> potential problems.

Thast was how Rcomp configured it when the computer was delivered,
IIRC. Although the [Ram] part of the ARM7500 model file has been
altered (by me) ever since to try and get more than the 160MB that
Rcomp configured, but I cannot be entirely sure how it was first
configured.

> To play absolutely safe, this may result in having to re-install
> VirtualRPC-AdjustSA from the master disc and to rebuild your HardDisc4
> etc.

> However, I think it's worthwhile double-checking a couple of things:

> a.  In your ARM7500 Model file (i.e. the one where you have manually
> deleted the 'phantom' second RAM bank), does it definitely say
> "Adjust" in the <Filename = Romsets\RISCOS Adjust> line? (If NOT, then
> it does look as if you've somehow over-written the Model file with one
> from VirtualRPC-SA.)

> b.  What do the equivalent Model files for the ARM7 and StrongARM
> emulations say? Do they have one or two RAM banks? Do they
> definitely say "Adjust" in the <Filename...> line?

ALL THREE models definitely have the 'Adjust' in the filename, just
exactly as you showed.

The ARM7 and SA models both have just one [Ram] bank set to 256MB (and
I have never editted those files, because I cant use ARM7 or SA).

I only use ARM7500, never the ARM7 or SA.

,
I have now put the ARM7500 model [Ram]  back down to 172MB in one ram
bank, because of the filer problems reported elsewhere when set to
anything higher.

> Back to you Mr Starter

> Alex Hamilyon
> pp T.O.M.S.