[Virtualacorn-list] RO 5.20 on VRPC

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Thu Jan 9 09:53:48 GMT 2014

On Thu Jan 9 08:26:47 GMT 2014 Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
sayeth:

> ATM I have:

> [Ram]
> base=0x10000000
> size=128Mb

> [Ram]
> base=0x18000000
> size=48Mb

> And even that Aaron says is illegal, I think he says I should only
> be using 32MB on the latter [Ram].

I'm sorry Roger, we may have been talking at cross-purposes in
previous years, so this may be a very useful recap.

Your mention of the 2 separate RAM banks implies that you are using
either VirtualRPC-SE or -SA (running. RISC OS v4.02).

The 'legal' RAM limit for those variants is indeed 128MB, normally
achieved by setting the 2 RAM banks to 64MB each.

With VirtualRPC-AdjustSA (running RISC OS v4.39), there is only one
RAM bank to configure, and which can be set to a maximum of 256MB.

However, if you are indeed running VirtualRPC-SE or -SA, we found many
years ago that, if you set the first RAM bank to 265MB, and the second
RAM bank to ZERO MB, then RISC OS will normally run at the full 256MB
RAM. In other words:

[Ram]
base=0x10000000
sze=256Mb

 [Ram]
base=0x18000000
size=0Mb

This is however an At Your Own Risk, 'illegal' workaround - and
frowned upon by Aaron! But it has always worked fine for us... Other
users have reported problems however, and have reverted to using
128MB. That incudes one known VirtualRPC-AdjustSA user, where the
'legal' limit is 256MB, plus someone else who had to drop the maximum
RAM setting to only 64MB; both unexplained problems.

Using old versions of some applications (e.g. Artworks v1.5) is also
known to trigger problems. (There's more detail on pp22-23 of the
VirtualRPC In Use booklet.) HTH.

Jim Nottingham
pp T.O.M.S.