[Virtualacorn-list] VA and ROOL 5.nn

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Thu Jan 9 07:53:50 GMT 2014

On 08/01/2014 22:08, Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn wrote:
> Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:
>
>> Because it would be great to have 500MB or 1GB of free RAM. I keep
>> running out of memory with only 131MB after the desktop has started.
>
> Are you saying that "starting the desktop" uses some colossal amount of RAM?
>

> Surely nearly all the machine's RAM should be free at that point?  Or, by
> "starting the desktop" do you mean starting up loads of applications?

Application wouldn't eat approx 120MB of RAM on reaching the desktop.

There must be dynamic areas allocated, for example a 64MB RAM disc. That
would be pointless on VRPC , as all filing system operations will be
cached in Windows memory, making them just as fast as a RAM disc.

There must also be a ton of other stuff which doesn't need to be run on
start-up.

Cheers
--
David J. Ruck