[Virtualacorn-list] RO 5.20 on VRPC

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Wed Jan 8 11:41:01 GMT 2014

On Wed Jan 8 09:34:18 GMT 2014 Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
sayeth:

>> You can increase the amount of RAM assigned to VRPC fairly
>> easily. Mine is set to 256MB.

> Yes, but only if I dont use ARM7500.

> I'ts already set at its maximum for the ARM7500 I am using.

Roger, I think we've previously discussed this problem but please
could you remind me why you can't configure the kit to use the ARM7500
core with 256MB RAM.

We routinely use the ARM7500 core and 256MB RAM on multiple machines
with no unexpected problems. (By "unexpected", we do get the known
hiccups with some older apps, but that's common to all 3 ARM cores.)

A wish for >256MB RAM is an interesting point though. In practice we
never get even close to the limits with 256MB as we find that handling
such enormous files would become so unwieldy that it's much better to
split the files into smaller and more manageable sub-sets. That also
avoids the risk of hitting the buffers of the 26-bit limit of
(typically) 30MB.

Again for enlightenment, can you give example(s) of why more than
256MB RAM would (in practice) be beneficial for your purposes? TIA.

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.