[Virtualacorn-list] 32GB USB stick - VA_RPC_SA cannot see it

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Tue Jan 7 11:19:13 GMT 2014

In message <bafaf0c553.rogerarm at rogerarm.freeuk.com>
          Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> If you allocate a drive letter to a removable device it uses that
>> drive letter each time it is plugged in. If you don't it uses the
>> first currently unused letter. If you use disk manager to allocate
>> letter O to your 32GB stick, it should be remembered. However if you
>> plug them both in, only the first will be seen, because of the clash
>> of letters.

>> You could try allocating P to one of them. You may need to tell VRPC
>> to use both O and P. I can't remember how you would do that.

> I looked it up on Google before you replied, and now see that you have
> also told of the correct solution Alan.

> However: a slight change is necessar for anyone following my
> footsteps. Because my 16TB virtual RAID is not always on, and that was
> taking the next available drive letter if switched on (N), I have now
> re-allocated that to Drive O, leaving drive N as the next free one up
> that any old tom dick or USB stick will pick up.

> [I erroneously tried allocating drive O to the USB stick, but then,
> each and every USB stick I ever stick in would then need individually
> allocating to that letter, so rather than do that, the USB stick can
> grab the next available drive letter (N) --- leaving the 16TB RAID to
> always take drive O if ever its switched on. (This also necessitated
> swapping the drive numbers O/N around in the Models file on Windows -
> just so anyone following behind me needs reminding)

There's is one gotcha to beware of - if you have any drive letters for
network drives. The system will look for free drive letters up to the
first network letter.

so if, for example you had d: mapped to \\server\backup, then no free
drive letter would be found. If it was mapped as h: \\server\backup,
then d,e,f and g would be available but nothing higher.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk
http://www.nckc.org.uk/