[Virtualacorn-list] 32GB USB stick - VA_RPC_SA cannot see it

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 20:53:48 GMT 2014

In message <e01becc553.rogerarm at rogerarm.freeuk.com>
          Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2014, Roger Darlington  wrote:
>> On 6 Jan 2014, John McCartney  wrote:

>>> Have you updated the Drive Scan list in DrivePop Options...?
>>> John

>> The 16GB USB2 stick doesn't need that doing before it will read it in
>> RO...

>> Anyway, I tried it: doing that to the 32GB USB3 stick makes no
>> difference, Drive N (which is what Windows says the USB3 pen drive is)
>> is still not one of the drive windows that opens up in RO.

>> I know that sometimes a drive wont open up in RO when there is nothing
>> on it, so I put something on this USB3 stick in Windows, but it still
>> doesn't open up in RO. Very strange.

>> I even tried reformatting it from FAT32 to NTFS, but that made no
>> difference either. Windows is still able to write to it as an NTFS
>> drive now, but RO still cant see it at all.

>> BTW - I assume is NTFS allowed on pen drives, I suppose it is, it
>> works on Windows (and all my hard drives that RO sees are formatted
>> NTFS).

> AHA !

> I have found some kind of anomaly on the WIndows side !!:
> --------

> When I plug the 16GB USB2 drive in, windows allocates it drive O.

> But when I unplug that and instead plug in the 32GB USB3 drive, it
> allocates that Drive N.

> No other drives have been added or disconnected during this test.

> Now then, on the RO side, I have allocated drive N to a 16TB RAID
> drive (it doesn't actually hold that much - that's just the virtual
> capacity), but that is switched off. (I have allocated the USB port
> for the USB stick to Drive O on RO).

> So that's why the 16GB USB2 stick works (drive O).

> But it still doesn't explain why Windows is bizarely allocating drive
> N to the 32GB USB3 stick when I stick that in instead, [neither USB
> stick are in the computer at the same time (I have reached my maximum
> of 8 drives in RO)].

> I can't think of a way around this bizare shifting of drive allocation
> on Windows. Nor do I know why it depends whether it sees a 16GB USB2
> stick or a 32GB USB3 stick.  (I am plugging them both in the same USB3
> port by the way, [but only one at a time].)

If you allocate a drive letter to a removable device it uses that
drive letter each time it is plugged in. If you don't it uses the
first currently unused letter. If you use disk manager to allocate
letter O to your 32GB stick, it should be remembered. However if you
plug them both in, only the first will be seen, because of the clash
of letters.

You could try allocating P to one of them. You may need to tell VRPC
to use both O and P. I can't remember how you would do that.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk
http://www.nckc.org.uk/