[Virtualacorn-list] !Pic_Index on VRPC - Windows7 64bit?

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Thu Feb 27 22:27:32 GMT 2014

<mail at JohnWoodhouse.co.uk> wrote:

>Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn	<jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk>
>wrote:
>
>> /If/ you're willing to install !Reporter, the programmer should be able
>> to liaise with you to collect the information needed (perhaps by tracing
>> other parts of the program) to find out why the problems occur.  For
>> example if this were my program I'd trace (to the !Reporter log) all
>> file opening & closing.
>
>I have just got round to doing just that and the last bit of it goes :

[snip]

>do I read it correctly that it is trying to close a file which doesn't
>exist?

No.  Reporter is showing you RO star commands that have been issued by the
app, and then a trapped error, but it doesn't show what may be thousands of
lines of basic that have been executed after the line that issued the most
recent star command, leading up to the error.

The /programmer/ needs to liaise with you so that they either add specific
Reporter commands into the program and you try that altered version, or they
tell you how to add some reporter commands into the program - with the same
effect - so that reporter collects internal program processing info and
dumps it into the reporter log - then you can send that info to the
programmer.