[Virtualacorn-list] !Pic_Index on VRPC - Windows7 64bit?

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Sat Feb 22 16:07:01 GMT 2014

<mail at JohnWoodhouse.co.uk> wrote:

>Has anyone managed to get !Pic_Index working with this combination? I find
>it such a useful utility and had it running without any problem on my
>previous setup on a laptop running Windows7 32bit.
>
>Having copied everything across to a shiny new PC running Win7 64bit,
> using the same latest version 1.24c  it first gives the error "Handle is
> either illegal or has been closed at line 1600", then after selecting
> "Quit.." a second error box "Unknown or missing variable at line 18970"
> which needs Alt-Break to get out of.

The first step in solving this is going to be finding out what BASIC
statements are present on lines 1600 and 18970, then working out what's
wrong with them.  I would expect the programmer either to be able to work
that out by looking at the lines concerned, or at least to be able to insert
some extra code that checks assumptions just before doing whatver those
lines do... and getting you to try again.

/If/ you're willing to install !Reporter, the programmer should be able to
liaise with you to collect the information needed (perhaps by tracing other
parts of the program) to find out why the problems occur.  For example if
this were my program I'd trace (to the !Reporter log) all file opening &
closing.