[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC Has Stopped Working - Again

John McCartney j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 09:36:32 BST 2014

In article
<mpro.n9r4uq00kn2kw02qg at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>,
   Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn
<jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> John McCartney <j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> >  Exception Code:	c0000005
> >  Exception Offset:	0009fc04

> I think you need Aaron to comment on what the code at
> +9fc04 in the module is actually doing.

Indeed, though it has ceased to be of immediate concern to
me now that the problem has apparently resolved itself.

> > I thought it might be something to do with a new second
> > monitor (identical to my original monitor and donated
> > by a grateful son who has stopped using it with his own
> > set-up). I reverted to the original single monitor
> > configuration but it made no difference. :-((

> Was that reversion to the single physical monitor you
> used to use only, or to both monitors connected but only
> one configured in use?

Yes, I had isolated the new monitor by switching it off and
removing the DVI plug from the socket on the computer.

> Are the "identical" monitors really the same as each
> other?  If you run your PC with just one monitor
> connected, then try with just the other one connected do
> they both behave?  If you look at the device's properties
> (via Device Manager) are they really the same?

They would appear to be the same at a visual level. Under
the device manager, the few details I checked (too many to
check in their entirety) either were identical or the
second monitor had an identifying alphanumeric which was
incremented by 1 from the other. These cases seem to be
identifiers allocated by the OS so I don't think they offer
any clues.

> When two are connected, are they being driven by the PC's
> graphics card in exactly the same way? - same colour
> depth, resolution etc?  Does your PC use a separate
> graphics card for the second monitor?

The machine uses Intel HD 4600 on-board graphics and the
original monitor was (and is) connected by HDMI and the new
monitor by DVI.

> Do the graphics cards have any diagnostic options
> available - in XP I'd expect to find that sort of thing
> by working from desktop proetries to a device and then
> successive 'advanced' options in the dialogs where the
> graphics card vendor's own software seems to act as a
> plugin to the more general MS dialogs.

I haven't even been there and, now that VRPC runs, I doubt
that I shall.

> When you last successfully ran VRPC on this machine, were
> 2 monitors in use?

No.

> If so were they in the same relative position to each
> other - eg the secondary one to the left or right of the
> main one, by the exact same number of pixels offset
> (left/right/up/down)?

New monitor on the right. HDMI/DVI cables have been tested
on both but *before* the issue self-resolved I left the DVI
cable in the old monitor.

> Is VRPC actually expected to work on a multi-monitor
> setup?

It only shows in what might be termed the primary screen on
the left. This is the same as the installation of a friend
of mine who also has a dual-screen set up.

As far as I am concerned, this has all become academic
though Aaron and Graham might be interested. I haven't
contacted Aaron directly because I know that he is very
busy sorting out the APDL website. If and when he has time
to look at this list he will pick it up and act as he
thinks appropriate.

--
John McCartney
j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk