[Virtualacorn-list] Moving VA

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Wed Apr 23 12:25:20 BST 2014

Peter Young <pnyoung at ormail.co.uk> wrote:

> Many thanks to all for the help and advice. However, there are still
> problems! I used Tools > Options to create a new mount, calling it HD4,
> and leaving the original HardDisc4 as well. Running VRPC now gives me
> quite the wrong screen mode, which I wasn't able to change. Also, of
> course, all the Look at and Run in !Boot are missing, but that's to be
> expected.

If RO has stored umpteen references to "HardDisc4" in its LookAt/Run lists
then the new mount has to have that name too.  So you'd need to make sure
that the old location of the files has some other name.

I've only ever done this by editing the mode.cfg file where it's easy to
make sure that the mount names are as you require; maybe the Tools - Options
way of doing things makes it harder to achieve?

When all's said and done you just need to end up with a model.cfg file which
associates labels/legends of "HardDisc4" and something else with the new and
old locations of the files.

There's a side issue: it's better not to have explicit references to a disk
name stored in eg LookAt/Run lists, but I never used the lists method to get
my machine going and I don't know how easy it is to alter what's stored in
the lists.  Doing it manually (with my own program to start required apps in
the required order) I think I made all my own stored program locations start
with "<Boot$Dir>", or something, rather than "HOSTFS::4.$" so that RO would
work out what the name of the disk it had booted from was, and then use that
symbolically in every other location it had to determine.