[Virtualacorn-list] End of Microsoft support for Windows XP

Mike Hobbs mike at greengenie.plus.com
Thu Apr 24 22:31:22 BST 2014

In message <6DC968C5AEBC4FC7A1C5E018A5354956 at philipsdesktop>
          "T.O.M.S." <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:

[snip]
> The firewall built into Windows XP still seem to be working OK on our
> machines and (AFAICT) there haven't been any dire warnings on the more
> reliable forums. Is anyone still using MS Security Essesntials and, if
> so, does it appear to be working?
I've used it on a couple of XP machines for a while and a trusted
friend suggested I use it instead of AVG when we first started to
have the performance problems.  However, MSSE has never, ever,
thrown up any virus warnings so I am skeptical as to whether its
doing anything.  Like most people, we receive emails that look like
they might contain viruses and MSSE has never thrown a warning,
either during mail scanning, or during file system scanning.

> However, I think the problem with the Windows built-in firewall is
> that it protects against incoming threats only. Is that right?
Windows XP firewall stops ShareFS from working (and, yes, I have
tried to set appropriate exceptions in the firewall settings). So I
have it turned off on our house network and rely on the firewalls in
the routers.  I actually don't see that the Windows firewall is going
to do anything more than the routers do except to possibly protect
one computer from another on our intranet. The real threats are
the trojans in emails and active URLs that will bypass any firewall.