[Virtualacorn-list] Moving VA

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Tue Apr 22 21:08:50 BST 2014

On Tue Apr 22 18:14:12 BST 2014, Peter Young pnyoung at ormail.co.uk
said:

>More thoughts from me. I'd like to move my HardDisc4 folder for
> VRPC, but not necessarily move the VRPC installation entirely.

> I've started by copying the whole of the HardDisc4 f-older to a
> place outside Program Files. What I think I need to do is to go
> to Tools Options on the top bar of the RISC OS window, and
> add a mount pointing to my new HardDisc4 location, and to
> set Bootable: Yes, No Types: No and Show DOS extensions: Yes.

That sounds fine Peter, but note that you will have to give the new
mount a different name for the moment (e.g. 'HardDisc5'), otherwise it
probably won't be registered (i.e. I don't think you can have 2 mounts
on the RISC OS icon bar with the same name).

> Presumably I would need to delete the existing HardDisc4 mount
> before naming the new one to this same name, or would giving
> it a different name be better?

To play safe, I wouldn't risk deleting the original mount until you're
sure the new one is working OK, otherwise you could well finish up
with RISC OS failing to boot. So I'd be inclined to suggest that,
before you delete the original mount, first select Tools-Options, then
select the *original* ('HardDisc4') mount, DEselect Bootable, and save
that.

Now close down VirtualRPC, re-start it, and make sure RISC OS still
boots up correctly - but this time using the !Boot file contained in
the *new* mount.

If that works OK, then you can delete the original mount and re-name
the new mount to (say) 'HardDisc4'.

Further thoughts: Noting that deleting the original mount does *not*
delete the original 'HardDisc4' folder in the
ProgramFiles-VirtualAcorn folder - this could be a useful disaster
recovery back-up folder in case something 'orrible happens to the new
setup.

So why not do as I suggested earlier, i.e. leave the original mount on
the RISC OS icon bar so that you can easily access the built-in
back-up?

If you went that route, you do still need to select Tools-Options,
select the *orginal* mount, DEselect Bootable, and rename it to
something like 'BackUp'. Close down and restart VirtualRPC, check it
all works OK so far, then you can rename the *new* mount to (for
example) 'HardDisc4'. Note that, in this case, the 'BackUp' icon will
be on the left, with the (renamed) 'HardDisc4' mount now on the right.

The same caveat applies as mentioned before though: If you apply later
updates, only the original files in the VirtualAcorn folder are
modified. It shouldn't matter *provided* nothing in the hard disc
mount is modified - unlikely?

But you may have probs with (for example) UniScan if, by default, it's
looking for something in the original HardDisc4, rather than the new
one, so you may need to fiddle with the UniServer pathnames etc. HTH.

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.

-----
No virus found in this message.