[Virtualacorn-list] Moving VA

Chris Hughes chris at noonehere.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 18:58:57 BST 2014

In message <4c3d71fc53.pnyoung at pnyoung.ormail.co.uk>
          Peter Young <pnyoung at ormail.co.uk> wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2014  Chris Newman <cvjazz at waitrose.com> wrote:

>> Hi,

>> Following some of the advice in this group, I've copied VA on my XP
>> Laptop to
>> a new partition I created. I've checked everything seems to work OK & now
>> wish to remove the original from its location on drive C.

>> Given that VA does not use the registry & is self-contained, what's the best
>> way of deleting that initial copy. Should I simply delete the VirtualAcorn
>> folder, or would it be best to use the uninstaller provided? I would think
>> that the uninstaller would only get rid of that copy, not the new one I have
>> created. Am I right?

> More thoughts from me. I'd like to move my HardDisc4 folder for VRPC,
> but not necessarily move the VRPC installation entirely. The reason is
> that I seem to have fouled up Windows permissions somehow, and can no
> longer share the whole of HardDisc4 with this ARMini using LanMan98,
> which would be useful. I /think/ I know what I need to do, but, being
> a timorous wee beastie, I thought I ought to check with the experts in
> case I do something stupid.

> I've started by copying the whole of the HardDisc4 f-older to a place
> outside Program Files. What I think I need to do is to go to Tools >
> Options on the top bar of the RISC OS window, and add a mount pointing
> to my new HardDisc4 location, and to set Bootable: Yes, No Types: No
> and Show DOS extensions: Yes.

No need to go playing like this. Since you have copied the files
already.

Goto your model.cfg file (ensure you have a backup first).

Find the entry starting [HostFS} and change the path to the new
location of the harddrive4.  save and then run VRPC.

> Presumably I would need to delete the existing HardDisc4 mount before
> naming the new one to this same name, or would giving it a different
> name be better?

If you want to keep the existing one just make it Mount1 just beneath
the entry in HostFS and call it harddisc5 etc.

> Do I need to do anything in ShareFS

Not sure what you mean, but unlikely.

> Oh, and I have made a copy of the Model.cfg file in case I really foul
> things up; anything else I should make a copy of?

Always a good idea.

--
Chris Hughes
Wakefield Show 26th April 2014 - http://www.wakefieldshow.org.uk