[Virtualacorn-list] Moving VA

Peter Young pnyoung at ormail.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 18:14:12 BST 2014

On 21 Apr 2014  Chris Newman <cvjazz at waitrose.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> Following some of the advice in this group, I've copied VA on my XP Laptop to
> a new partition I created. I've checked everything seems to work OK & now
> wish to remove the original from its location on drive C.

> Given that VA does not use the registry & is self-contained, what's the best
> way of deleting that initial copy. Should I simply delete the VirtualAcorn
> folder, or would it be best to use the uninstaller provided? I would think
> that the uninstaller would only get rid of that copy, not the new one I have
> created. Am I right?

More thoughts from me. I'd like to move my HardDisc4 folder for VRPC,
but not necessarily move the VRPC installation entirely. The reason is
that I seem to have fouled up Windows permissions somehow, and can no
longer share the whole of HardDisc4 with this ARMini using LanMan98,
which would be useful. I /think/ I know what I need to do, but, being
a timorous wee beastie, I thought I ought to check with the experts in
case I do something stupid.

I've started by copying the whole of the HardDisc4 f-older to a place
outside Program Files. What I think I need to do is to go to Tools >
Options on the top bar of the RISC OS window, and add a mount pointing
to my new HardDisc4 location, and to set Bootable: Yes, No Types: No
and Show DOS extensions: Yes.

Presumably I would need to delete the existing HardDisc4 mount before
naming the new one to this same name, or would giving it a different
name be better?

Do I need to do anything in ShareFS

Oh, and I have made a copy of the Model.cfg file in case I really foul
things up; anything else I should make a copy of?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter Young (zfc W) and family