[Virtualacorn-list] End of Microsoft support for Windows XP

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Sat Apr 5 22:12:42 BST 2014

Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> Who's scared of W8  it's just not a step in the right direction if you are
> a real computer user. A Toy UI is for kiddies and Tablets.

Yes, but it's not the whole UI, and - so far as I understand it, you can
work around it.

For me (I bought a W8 laptop last year, but have not had time to get to
grips with it), the reason I chose W8 over W7 (which I've also never used)
is for all the /OS/ changes; underlying things that should continue to make
the OS more stable and give malware or any aborting program less chance of
damaging other things running at the same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_8

and things like this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/09/redesigning-chkdsk-and-the-new-ntfs-health-model.aspx

And of course, of all the MS OSes currently available, its end-of-life date
is the furthest away.

I keep trying to persuade myself that I will move to Linux, but certainly
need plenty of time to explore the possibilities.  I'm thinking of running
Linux under VMware or Virtualbox, under W8.  I think I'll never explore a
Linux if it requires me to dual boot or use two machines at once.  I hope
this approsach will be no harder than running VRPC under Windows.