[Virtualacorn-list] End of Microsoft support for Windows XP

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Sat Apr 5 21:32:24 BST 2014

In article <53f3bb90c5dave at triffid.co.uk> Dave Symes  wrote:

> In article <53F3B844B0%mik.towse at xemik.com>,
>    Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> > In article <53f3b26caddave at triffid.co.uk> Dave Symes  wrote:
> > > In article <53F3A13F67%mik.towse at xemik.com>, Mik Towse
> > > <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote: [Snippy]
[snip]
> > My point, though, is folk shouldn't be scared of W8 & avoid it
> > unnecessarily. The death of XP might just be the push they need to give
> > it a try. It really isn't the horror show that many people would have us
> > believe.
> Who's scared of W8 it's just not a step in the right direction if you are
> a real computer user.
> A Toy UI is for kiddies and Tablets.
That is simply NOT true; the desktop is pretty much identical to XP. In
fact, it's very much easier to do most things you can do in XP. You just need
to know where to look. For example, move the mouse to the bottom right,
right-click & you have access to darn near everything you need to change
settings, etc.

> I've used Win 8 on a friends computer, I thought it was bad, and it wasn't
> long before he upgraded again to his W7 pro install.
Upgraded to W7? Don't make me laugh. W8 is better than W7 & a lot nicer to
use. Shame people can't be bothered to actually learn how to use it. It
didn't suit me 'Out of the box', but most people reading this thread are old
hands at RISC OS, so won't be phased at spending a little time tweaking the
settings to their liking.

> I'll grant that I've not used it since 8.1 arrived, but they'd have to
> make a lot of changes before I go there.
TBH I preferred vanilla 8. 8.1 is Micro$oft pandering the nah-sayers.

> For example... Never ever see that Kiddie block/tile part of the UI. Never
> ever, no matter what happened to the computer, if Hell froze over, if my
> goolies dropped off... Never ever see it.
Well, that's your loss. You really are missing out on a superbly easy way to
run programs. Get rid of the dross, add the stuff you use a lot & you have
access to it all with one click. How can that the a bad thing?

> One day, I suppose they'll Kill W7 like they are attempting to kill Win
> XP, but either a new Os version will arrive, so hopefully W8 will be what
> Vista was to W7 or I'll be dead.
<sigh> Vista was utter garbage, W7 was an improvement, but W8 better. Sad
people won't give it a chance because of old prejudices. And, yes, I was one
of those people. I could have written thr above paragraph 3 months ago, but I
was 'forced' to get W8 & now I'm /very/ happy not to be using XP anymore.

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net