[Virtualacorn-list] End of Microsoft support for Windows XP

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Sat Apr 5 20:20:13 BST 2014

In article <53F3B844B0%mik.towse at xemik.com>,
   Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> In article <53f3b26caddave at triffid.co.uk> Dave Symes  wrote:
> > In article <53F3A13F67%mik.towse at xemik.com>, Mik Towse
> > <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote: [Snippy]
> > > Micro$oft, apparently, have stopped vendors selling W7, I had to get
> > > a W8 desktop.
> >
> > Ooer! Dunno where you got that from.

> Perhaps just big retailers or I was being lied to? But either way, after
> using W7 & W8, I much prefer W8 anyway.

The big box shifters (PCW etc) lie all the time, it's a business expedient.

> My point, though, is folk shouldn't be scared of W8 & avoid it
> unnecessarily. The death of XP might just be the push they need to give
> it a try. It really isn't the horror show that many people would have us
> believe.

Who's scared of W8  it's just not a step in the right direction if you are
a real computer user.
A Toy UI is for kiddies and Tablets.

I've used Win 8 on a friends computer, I thought it was bad, and it wasn't
long before he upgraded again to his W7 pro install.

I'll grant that I've not used it since 8.1 arrived, but they'd have to
make a lot of changes before I go there.

For example... Never ever see that Kiddie block/tile part of the UI. Never
ever, no matter what happened to the computer, if Hell froze over, if my
goolies dropped off... Never ever see it.

One day, I suppose they'll Kill W7 like they are attempting to kill Win
XP, but either a new Os version will arrive, so hopefully W8 will be what
Vista was to W7 or I'll be dead.

> And more importantly, VRPC still works in it. :D

That's good to know for those who have Win 8.

D.

--

Dave Triffid