[Virtualacorn-list] End of Microsoft support for Windows XP

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 09:42:45 BST 2014

"T.O.M.S.", on 3 Apr, wrote:

> On Thu Apr 3 07:47:35 BST 2014, David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
> sayeth:
>

> > > Or Microsoft Security Essentials.
>
> > Which is going to be turned off for XP.
>
> Er, no. The official Microsoft line is that [quote]: " ...after April 8,
> 2014 ... Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials
> **for download** on Windows XP on this date." [My asterisks - AH.]
>
> But they then go on to say: "If you already have Microsoft Security
> Essentials installed, you will continue to receive antimalware signature
> updates for a limited time, but this does not mean that your PC will be
> secure because Microsoft will no longer be providing security updates to
> help protect your PC."
>
> As yet, there is no indication how long "a limited time" will be but
> various gurus seem to be taking 1-2 years. (Sorry I haven't got time to
> look up some references but that's the gist.) HTH.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

A guru :-

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-s-Scare-Tactics-Continue-Security-Essentials-Updated-to-Show-XP-EOS-Warnings-434547.shtml

<quote>
Microsoft Security Essentials will continue to work on Windows XP for one
more year, but it’s pretty clear that with such notifications, users might
start looking for alternatives. Starting April 8, Security Essentials will
no longer provide support for Windows XP, so only machines with the app
installed will continue to be updated with new virus definitions.
</quote>

HTH.
--
David Pitt