[Virtualacorn-list] End of Microsoft support for Windows XP

Mike Hobbs mike at greengenie.plus.com
Wed Apr 2 20:44:52 BST 2014

In message <53f23072b3brian at carrolls.me.uk>
          Brian Carroll <brian at carrolls.me.uk> wrote:

> What exactly is wrong with the operation of AVG Free Edition
> 2014?  It seems to work OK here on WindowsXP and most days finds
> something from which to 'protect' me.  BTW, this latter activity
> and also pop-ups in Firefox, seem to have increased markedly
> since about February.

Earlier posts have the answer. In my case, the computers became
unusable due to excessive disk activity for many hours. And I
really mean unusable, not just sluggish. It would take half an hour
to start up a browser and then you could not even do anything
with it. And I don't mean just within VRPC.

Years ago, I had a similar issue with Trend PC-Cillin. At that time,
AVG was much better (acceptable).  Now, I don't know what
AV s/w to use.

--
Mike Hobbs