[Virtualacorn-list] End of Microsoft support for Windows XP

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Wed Apr 2 19:15:01 BST 2014

On Wed Apr 2 16:35:48 BST 2014, T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
sayeth:

> ... as we seem to have the very latest version of AVG Free
> 2012 (2012.0.2197), I propose to email it to you both, possibly
> overnight tonight.

I'm so sorry Stuart and Mike (+ anyone else still awake), it looks
like AVG Free 2012 can no longer be installed.

Before emailing it, I tried to re-install it on one of our machines,
but it came up as "This programme is Obsolete" and would not proceed
further. I tried other things but got the same stubborn result.

Bearing in mind I achieved a satisfactory installation only last
Saturday, it looks like there was a time limit on it - 1st April at my
guess. Perhaps not surprising if it was replaced c. 18 months ago. So
on that basis I won't email it after all, sorry about that.

But the crucial question is: Do AVG Free 2012 installations still
work? They appear to do so on all our machines, including installing a
valid update received only 30 mins ago. So it looks as if the answer
(for the moment) is Yes, but watch out for End-of-life messages..

I've upgraded one of our machines to AVG free 2014 and will report
back on that.

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.