[Virtualacorn-list] End of Microsoft support for Windows XP

Chris Newman cvjazz at waitrose.com
Wed Apr 2 14:32:39 BST 2014

In article <9DAA0902151D4A18A09A8B9347589B63 at philipsdesktop>,
   T.O.M.S. <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:

> On Tue Apr 1 17:12:44 BST 2014,  Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
> sayeth:

> >> And Don't forget some AV apps will turn your useful Windows
> >> computer into a Treacle Pot.  (Substantially slow it down).

> > That's because by default some of them are set to scan all files
> > at startup, or once a week.

> Yes indeed. If you want to avoid your choice of anti-virus prog
> slowing things down, or dropping VirtualRPC into a window, or
> otherwise making a right nuisance of itself, you do need to make sure
> it knows who's boss by configuring it to do things only at your
> bidding, and not when it feels like it.

I've done lots of trawling through the options for Avast but can't find any
reference to it scanning automatically at startup so hopefully it's not doing
that.
The Avast icon in the taskbar shows activity from time to time but presumably
it's checking the odd thing it deems unusual. It certainly hasn't had the
adverse effect on VA that Avira did.

--
Chris