[Virtualacorn-list] End of Microsoft support for Windows XP

Mike Hobbs mike at greengenie.plus.com
Tue Apr 1 23:43:26 BST 2014

In message <14E6E31B9A804195BAF52A48F8B00F47 at philipsdesktop>
          "T.O.M.S." <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:
[snip]
> We're continuing to use the last-available *2012*
> version of  AVG Free (v2012.0.2197 on
> http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus_32/12831/) as the
> signature files are still fully valid but the programme itself does
> not seem to have the problems associated with the 2013-14 versions.
This version appears not to be available - "File not found".

I have two XP computers that had AVG and I had recently upgraded
to 2014. Big mistake. Both computers became unusable. I disabled
all scanning that I could and still there were about six AVG processes
running and I could not stop them. It took 20 minutes just to open
the task manager.  I had no choice but to uninstall AVG completely
(I attended a training course where I needed to use the laptop and
I simply could not use it). It took 30 minutes just to uninstall AVG
2014!  I left the other computer over night to see if the situation
might improve but it was still doing unstoppable scanning about
8 hours later (and I had tried to disable all scanning).

I have AVG 2012 on my desktop XP machines that run 24x7 and they
are OK, but the only versions I have in my software archive are
2009 and older. I obviously installed AVG direct from the network,
or just accepted the upgrade in 2012.  Strangely, although AVG
told me two of my computers were "no longer protected" (hence
the reason for me upgrading to 2014), the two desktop machines
have not said anything about the need to upgrade AVG.  They do
run 24x7 so there is less opportunity for software to prompt about
upgrades, but even so, I power cycle/reset them perhaps two or three
times a year.

So has anyone got a copy of the 2012 AVG distribution?

--
Mike Hobbs