[Virtualacorn-list] End of Microsoft support for Windows XP

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Tue Apr 1 18:21:24 BST 2014

On Tue Apr 1 17:12:44 BST 2014,  Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
sayeth:

>> And Don't forget some AV apps will turn your useful Windows
>> computer into a Treacle Pot.  (Substantially slow it down).

> That's because by default some of them are set to scan all files
> at startup, or once a week.

Yes indeed. If you want to avoid your choice of anti-virus prog
slowing things down, or dropping VirtualRPC into a window, or
otherwise making a right nuisance of itself, you do need to make sure
it knows who's boss by configuring it to do things only at your
bidding, and not when it feels like it.

There's some guidance notes in the VirtualRPC In Use booklet on
configuring AVG so it behaves itself, but the fundamentals are similar
for other progs such as Avast!. Please see pp15-16 in the main booklet
on http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/support/vrpcinuse/index.htm
(last-but-one link).

On Tue Apr 1 13:52:50 BST 2014, Stuartlists at orpheusinternet.co.uk
sayeth:

> I had no idea there were so many AV programs avaialable.

> The question is which one to use. I was using AVG but dropped it.

We've used AVG Free successfully for many years but, like many others,
don't like the 2013-14 versions. However, we've reverted to using the
2012 version with complete satisfaction (the signature files remain
entirely valid). Use the same link as above, download the last link on
the page ('copy of all 13 supplements') and see the guidance notes on
pp49-50.

NB that AVG Free combines anti-virus *and* anti-spyware, all in one
prog, whereas most other progs are 'only' anti-virus. HTH.

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.