[Virtualacorn-list] A little problem

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Mon Sep 30 17:56:07 BST 2013

In article <mpro.mtwsh500b76eq01tg at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>,
   Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk>
wrote:
> Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> >I've created a Windows directory structure that is for the most part
> >identical to the one on her old Lappy.
> >I transferred her VRPC install from the Lappy in Directory
> >C:\xxx\VirtualRPC-AdjustSA to the new machine and into
> >C:\xxx\VirtualRPC-AdjustSA

> But... have you not also changed from a 32-but to a 64-bit OS?  If so
> aren't there also the issues of Windows using different folders for, for
> example, application data for 32- and 64-bit apps?

No change Jeremy, the Laptop was running 64 bit Win 7 Home Premium, the
new machine is running 64 bit Win 7 Pro.

> Are the "xxx" above user folders or system ones?

User folders, but not any folders in the MS defined C:\Users

Only MS and Sys related apps are installed in Program Files or Program
Files(X86) all my in use Apps installs are to a directory of my creation.

> ARe the "xxx" related to usernames? Are the user names teh same on both
> machines?

"xxx" is not related to any particular username, just C:\xxx

> >I moved the whole VRPC dir to another place and installed a new copy
> >from the CD in to C:\xxx\VirtualRPC-AdjustSA.

> But the CD version was (?) designed in 32-bit OS days when Windows'
> folders were structured differently.  OTOH if it really did work ok on a
> W7 laptop you might expect the same behaviour now.

Indeedy, but it came from a 64 bit Win OS to another 64 bit Win OS.

More to the point on MY machine that went TU at the end of 2012 my VRPC
install was on a Win XP OS, I just copied the whole VRPC from it to the
new Win 7 Pro machine (Exactly as now to the same named place) and after
entering the new unlock code, it just worked.

> >When I use a Windows tool it checks then attempts to start VRPC but
> >fails with an error: "VirtualRPC-AdjustSA. failed to find config file".

> >VA.cfg is there and has content. Model.cfg is there inside the
> >Models\nnn(jit) directory, and has content.

> Yes, but they're presumably in the Program Files\VRPC... folders where
> the stupid VA installer may have out them, not the Program Data ones?

No!
> POssibly you're hand editing the wrong files?  If you search the whole
> disk can you find other copies?

And No!

Thanks for your thoughts Jeremy, appreciated.

Dave.

You'll probably have seen by now the problem has been solved with an
extremely simple adjustment.

The real bummer... It's something I did to my VRPC a few years ago, but
with time I'd obviously forgotten about it.

D.

--

Dave Triffid