[Virtualacorn-list] VA and ROOL 5.nn

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Fri Sep 13 21:58:09 BST 2013

Chris Hughes <chris at noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> I must have something odd then on my laptop then I just ensured all
> connectors were turned on initially when sending for the registration code
> and once entered does not matter what is turned on or off it works, wired
> or bluetooth or Wi-fi  ........

Yes, that is how VRPC works.

However, sometimes the problem is with the laptop itself - or rather the
idiotic things manufacturers do.

The last laptop on which I installed VRPC was a prime example of this
idiocy:

* When wi-fi was switched off, the system *disabled* the interface, enabling
it again when it was switched on.

* When there was no ethernet connection, the system *disabled* the network
adaptor, enabling it again when there was.

When I first installed VRPC on that machine, it wasn't connected by cable,
and the wi-fi was switched off. I ran VRPC, got the code to send to Aaron,
and Aaron duly sent back the activation code commenting that there must be
something wrong with my computer, because it didn't appear to have any
network interfaces (or something along those lines).

Cue a short back and forth of emails on the subject because, at first, I
don't think Aaron believed me when I said what the computer was doing.

Another thing to consider is that some systems turn off the wi-fi themselves
if there is no connection: In the case of that laptop, that means the
interface would be disabled.

Mik: I suspect the laptop you mentioned in your post earlier today was
similarly daft.

--
Soft Rock Software:                   http://www.softrock.co.uk
Vince M Hudd:                         http://misc.vinceh.com/about-vinceh/