[Virtualacorn-list] VA and ROOL 5.nn

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Fri Sep 13 12:57:22 BST 2013

In article <32ac778a53.pittdj+ at iyonix.home>,
   David Pitt <pittdj at pittdj.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <538a160529dave at triffid.co.uk>
>   Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> [snip]

> > And FWIW. Attempting to run VRPC and RPCEmu on the same PC causes
> > Network chaos. Or to put it another way if you have a networking
> > enabled RPCEmu on a PC, then the VRPC install will not work at all.
> > (It won't even run).

> > (No need to write me with the explanation, I know all about it thanks)

> I know a bit about it as well now! I attempted to get RPCemu
> networking on Windows 7, it did not work, I could not ping the gateway
> from RISC OS. This was something of a disappoint but rather worse was
> that, as said above, VRPC also stopped working, it would have needed
> re-authenticating at least. At this point I did the only decent thing
> and gave up.

As soon as you create a network bridge for RPCEmu, the bridge is what's
seen by VRPC and not the Network card to which it is locked.

If you switch off the bridging, then it'll return to the Network card
connection and be okay.

This business is such a PITA I have to Run VRPC on one machine and RPCEmu
on another.

"They" say, you can use both by switching the Bridge On and off as
required, but my experience is, Windows doesn't like that and will quite
often lose the bridge settings completely.

> On the Mac RPCemu and VRPC, both with networking working, can
> co-exist. RPCemu is somewhat fragile both generally and networking
> however.

That's good.

> Oh well, it was worth a try.

Dave