[Virtualacorn-list] VA and ROOL 5.nn

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Fri Sep 13 12:57:25 BST 2013

In message <mpro.mt2amn001p1pj02bw at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>
  Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk>
wrote:

> David Pitt <pittdj at pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

>> I know a bit about it as well now! I attempted to get RPCemu networking on
>> Windows 7, it did not work, I could not ping the gateway from RISC OS.
>> This was something of a disappoint but rather worse was that, as said
>> above, VRPC also stopped working, it would have needed re-authenticating
>> at least. At this point I did the only decent thing and gave up.

> Can you both clarify this: do you mean that just the act of installing
> RPCemu breaks a VRPC install?

> Or do you mean that when RPCemu is running it does something to the
> networking environment that means VRPC no longer sees the MAC of the network
> interface it's licenced to run with - so VRPC can't run at the same time.
> And if it's this, once RPCemu is stopped (and perhaps the real machine
> rebooted to revert the network environment to normal?) will VRPC not then
> run as it originally did?

It is VRPC's authentication that fails which is because of the changes
made to the Windows Network Connections setup by the installation
OpenVPN and the creation of a Bridge. VRPC does something more
complicated than just checking a single MAC.

http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/manual/net-win.html

It is VRPC's excessive zeal in authorising itself and should be just a
matter of getting a replacement licence key from Virtual Acorn. I did
not get as far as seeing if there might be other difficulties.

--
David Pitt
Raspberry Pi RISC OS 5.21